Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Our topsy turvy pot!

Pin It
I guest posted on Monday at Hating Martha, figured I'd share here too in case you missed it!

Happy Monday to all you Hating Martha Fans!
I'm uber excited to be here... really, I'm thrilled I was asked to come out and play!  Who am I?
Well, I'm Kim from Tiaras and Bowties.  I am the crafty queen of my castle simply painting, DIYing and living the fairy tale.  You know the one; where princess meets the handsome prince, falls madly in love, has two lovely children - one of which has a rare genetic syndrome and is a medically complex special needs child, renting a castle in the burbs, struggling to make ends meet and living hapily ever after?  No?  Well, I'd love to have you stop by sometime and get to know us all better! 


The king {lol} has recently taken an interest in all of my crafty endevours but thought I had surely gone mad when I told him about the topsy turvy flower pot I wanted to create for our front porch.  You should have seen the eye rolls when I unloaded all of the supplies I would be needing to attempt to create the fab pots which had taken blog world by storm last summer.  I  painted each pot a different color from my stash of spray paints... added some fun polka dots, stripes, and stencils for a touch of whimsey then the king stepped in to help assemble the pot!  Here's how we did it and what you'll need!


3 Painted clay pots in descending size.  Mine were 12, 10 and 8 inches. {or close to that}
1 Painted clay pot base in the size that matches your largest pot.
1 metal threaded rod from the hardware store {about 2 ft, if you can't cut metel, have them do it}
Nuts and bolts to fit your rod.
Dirt
Flowers of your choice!
child and hubby laborers if you can get them.
{just jokin}


You'll need to drill a whole in the clay pot base large enough to get your threaded rod through.  Place the rod in the whole {we are using it upside down} and place a washer and a nut on the underside.


Flip it over and place another washer on before moving to step 2.


Carefully place the largest clay pot down over the rod, sitting flat on the base.



This is the part you step back and let the family help while you snap photos.


Place your next smaller pot down the rod and tilt it.  The rod will support it.  Add more dirt.


Lower your 3rd pot over the rod tilting it the other way.  I did not like the 'tilt' on this one so we added another nut and washer to lift it up a bit.  Add more dirt.


 When you have the pots as tipsy turvy as you want them, simply add some flowers!


Love the unexpected pop of color and whimsey it adds to the front porch.
Think you'll give this a whirl? 



Thanks for having me today!  Stop by and visit the castle sometime!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! Adorable! Loving the colors you used! Thanks for sharing how you made it.

Little City Farm said...

I love this look so much. It's just so much fun and practical too. Thanks for sharing at our party this week.

Donna Wilkes said...

Came over from Functional Friday. I wish I had a porch large enough to build this cute pot. I garden mostly in containers so I might have to try this for somewhere in the yard.

Distressed Donna Down Home

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

Clever and great tutorial! I was wondering how people were making these!

:)

Linda

Anonymous said...

Your project has been featured for Functional Friday!

I've already showed my husband so we can make our very own!

~Angela

foreverdecorating said...

I have seen these before and they always make me smile!

Sue@creativetryals.blogspot.com said...

Oh my goodness - this is awesome. Thank you for the tutorial. I am pinning to make this later. Saw you on 'lil luna.

Shabby chic Sandy said...

That is one of the cutest things I have seen. Thanks so much for sharing! It just makes me smile to look at it--so fun!

Terry said...

Hi Kim! I think this is just about the cutest thing ever! Thanks for sharing this at Sunday Blog Love, this is one of my favorite picks for the week! Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

Meeha Meeha said...

Just great! It looks like the Mad Hatter's flowers - if he ever had any :))

Jill @Two Yellow Birds Decor said...

Oh how cute is that! I love it. What a fun way to spruce up a porch. Thanks so much for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.
Jill

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Cute! Reminds me of Alice in Wonderland!

K&B by the Sea said...

I've seen topsy-turvy cakes, but never topsy-turvy planters - love it! Very creative and totally whimsical :-) And it's great that you don't have to use glue to attach the pots together, so you can change them up each year if you want to.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...