Saturday, May 7, 2011

Coffee Tables & Curtains?

Pin It
Do you have a certain someone (or 2) in your life who, how shall we put this, is your Debbie Downer?  Your negative Nelly...cup half empty...confidence zapper sorta person.  I have a few...I really don't think they know or intend to be that person...but they ARE!  And that really busts my butt lately!

Yes, you've seen that face before!
C'mon...I know you must have them too...you don't have to name names or anything,  I know I don't hold the world record for them! 
Well, unfortunately...I've been know to listen quite a few times over the years to those 'you can't do that' comments.  And have not done or even tried...cause I didn't wanna hear the 'I told ya so's' later...so, 'yes' I AM going somewhere with this... My dear hubby is kinda one of those people.

This brings me to my latest project.  So I've been telling the Mr. for a few months that I want to turn our Oh So boring coffee table into a bench for my table... It's kinda too small for the living room and we need more seating at the table... 
The conversation went kinda like this...

Hubby: You can't do that.
Me: Yes I can.
Hubby:  It's too short, it won't fit, people won't be able to reach the table.
Me:  It's fine, I already measured it.  It's the same height as a kitchen chair.
Hubby:  It won't look right...

Back and forth and back and forth...and Friday while he was out... I quickly set up a work area...in my living room.  Hush, I know you've done it once or twice too...haven't you?

 Primed and painted right ontop of the 'new' coffee table... Ha!  With a wet brush and some $1 quarts of paint,  I blended white and teal paint... the quart of teal wasn't quite working so I switched to my aqua acrylic!




Now, you know,  I've been planning to do this for a while, despite my Debbie Downer and was prepared.  I had bought queen size egg crate bed topper at my local dollar store and had been waiting.  So I cut two lengths to size to fit on top of the coffee table.  It's kind of thin and I wanted it to be a bit more 'cushy' without having to spend big money on thick foam!


Oh, and I sprayed the hardware with primer and chrome from Krylon.  Don't worry about that deck.  It needs a new coat of paint anyhow!

 While that was drying, I grabbed that velvet curtain I showed you yesterday.  Yes, a curtain panel... luv the color & texture & the fact that it cost just under $3!

The Hubby came in when I was just about finished stapling the cushion and fabric onto the top of the coffee table NOW turned bench!

 He actually gave me a hand finishing up those darn staples!  He actually admitted he was wrong,  well he tried to say he NEVER said it couldn't be done...he just said... (insert his crooked smile here!)

Now, I hope it's okay to show you this before it's  100% done.  I still need to insert a few more staples and add some trim to cover said staples.  I may distress the wood a bit.  I may not.  But right about now I'm just so freakin' happy that I did it!

I am WoMan...Hear me RoAR !

Reminder:  The giveway for a custom handpainted canvas is still going.  Be sure to pop over to the post here and leave a little comment before you go.

and... I am so very touched to have had so many people stop by and leave such sweet & heartwarming comments on Alexis' dress upcycle.  I can't believe the response that post has recieved and I'm honored!  So Alexis and I wanted to thank you all from the bottom of our itty bitty hearts!

Also...(the post that never ends)  Just wanted to wish all of you out there a very happy Mother's day!  Celebrate!  Take a nap...do a project!
My mom, Betty... gee I wonder where the tiara thing came from ! 
Luv Ya mOm!




LInkin Up...check the sidebar chickies


mommahenscoop

Boogieboard Cottage

20 comments:

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

wahoo! awesome idea! glad you didn't listen to the hubby haha. looks cool :)

Marisa said...

GREAT job!!!! Sometimes it pays not to listen :)

Emily said...

that will show em. I think it looks awesome can't wait to see it all done.

jandjhome said...

This came out great. The blue is beautiful. I'm a new follower here from Homemaker on a Dime.

Debbiedoos said...

That turned out fantastic..Love the color fabric too. Thanks for joining my newbie party. Please add my link.

Ami Allison said...

GO YOU!!! I think it looks great already and I can't wait to see once your done!!!

I had to come by after I saw your comment on Homemaker on a Dime and tell you that I really think all the traffic came because of Alexis' smile!! She has smile so bright!! That is why I clicked it way back when! :)

Bonnie@ The Hopeless Romantic said...

Great job on the bench, i cant waite to see it inside! Hope u had a great mothers day, i opted for the nap, lol..........Bonnie

andiejaye said...

i'm getting ready to cover our bench too! never thought of using egg crates for the cushion. was just telling my mom last night that i didn't know what i was going to do! thanks so much! when/if i do a post, i'll make sure i link back to you :)

happy mother's day
:) andie

Anonymous said...

Haha I love your post about Debbie Downer. Oh but I have had those in my past. I threw them out. :) LOL I am a follower now. Found you from the blog hop. The bench turned out beautiful.
http://shabbytochicqueencreek.blogspot.com/

Suzanne@thriftstoredecorjunky said...

You clever woman, you! The bench turned out wonderful!\PS. I might be wrong, but haven't you found that most "Debbie Downers" are actually "Danny Downers"? lol

Victoria said...

...oh, but how we do love their crooked smiles!
"Who needs men?!"
That's what I like to say, when I've just completed a project that I wasn't too sure I really could do all by myself! Like the first tiling job I did! {tub surround, and about 3' up the walls, and it was a huge jacuzzi tub....but, I did it, and it came out B-eaut-I-ful!} Your coffee table turned bench is great! I really need to get my bench finished. {I, too, am 'prepared'--I picked up a scrap piece of foam at JoAnn's the other day, and I think I've decided on which piece of fabric from my stash I will use.}
Love your pic. of your mom with the tiara!

Mary Mollica, Owner & Artist of The Decorative Paintbrush said...

Hahahaha! Glad you proved him wrong! You go girl! Love the piece and love stumbling upon people who get a kick out of redoing furniture, it's a blast isn't it! Keep up the great work...you're on a roll now. No one's gonna tell you, you can't! LMAO! Mary
http//:thedecorativepaintbrush.blogspot.com

Jennifer @ Delightfully Noted said...

Oh boy how many times have I proved the hubby wrong? Hehe glad you showed it to your Debbie Downer! I'm excited about how beautiful your bench came out because I have been debating about doing the same thing with an old coffee table we have in our garage. Would love to turn it into a bench for the end of our bed! You inspired me now to do it!

Blue Creek Home said...

Sounds familiar. My husband isn't too keen on messing with all of my projects either, but as long as I am able bodied the crafts will go on.
Amazing job on the bench - love it.
Rhonda

Jenn said...

Great job Kim! You've always been so creative!

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Gosh, I LOVE how this looks~just gorgeous~ You go girl!! Found you thru Creating a House of Grace and so happy to find your pretty blog! I'm having a blog party and giveaway soon so hop on over to visit me when you get a chance!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

michelle said...

just found your site and was so inspired and impressed with the table to bench conversion! thanks for a great idea.. and yes i have a debbie the downer too :)

Mary said...

I love this! I'd like to invite you to post it on Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage. The link will be up all week, I hope you can join in. Have a nice week, Mary :O)

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Sometimes hubbies just done have the vision!! Great job!
Blessings!!

Carolyn said...

Table looks fantastic! Good thing you went ahead with it. Thanks for posting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...