Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I Made My Own Laundry Soap!

Pin It
I'm not too proud to tell you that I've been known to hop on the back of the bandwagon a time or two.  I mean if everyone else is doing it... there must be something to it right?   Honestly though, the thought of making my own Laundry Soap seemed kind of, well, silly.  I'm a busy mom of 2, wife and caregiver- Alzhiemers and Special Needs keep me busy so why would I want to take more time from my busy day to make Home Made Laundry Soap?

I caved.  I did it.  I made it. 


I've been using this powdered laundry soap for about two weeks now.  I didn't want to jump on the blog and recommend you try it, then realize I hated, so I waited a while to really see if I was happy with making my own detergent.   First off, I admit, I was a bit skeptical.  My store bought detergent wasn't broke, so why fix it was my thinking, along with... science has come a long way to bring us the most advanced cleaning formulas, then there was the whole 'another thing to do in my day' thinking.

Then, we found out our monthly income was being cut by over a third...  so the promise of the cost savings really was the deciding factor in at least trying it for me.

 
After researching lots and lots of DIY laundry Detergents on the net, I decided to take a bit from here and there and concoct my own... knowing it had to be powder because the thought of cooking up a gloppy mess on the stove to make liquid was not very enticing... plus I didn't want hubby to know what I was planning.  He already thinks I'm a bit nuts and i knew this idea would really make him think I'm off my rocker, right?

Here are the Ingredients I used in case you wanna give it a try:

Borax {large box, 4 lbs I think}
Arm and Hammer Washing Soda {large box also 4 lbs}
Oxy powder {3 lb tub}
Purex Crystals {large bottle}
4-5 bars Fels Naptha Soap {grated or ground in food processor - will look like cheese}
2 small boxes of Baking Soda 

1 large heavy trash bag to mix and a plastic container to hold it in

*** Per Load- use 2 tablespoons of Prepared Powder per wash load.

The {thought} Process
So... all secret like, I gathered my supplies from 3 different stores {one big negative for me... every store I went to was out of or didn't carry all of what I needed, or was way too expensive} and set out with my little hand held cheese grater to grate up my Fels Naptha Soap.  {negative number 2,  my hands and wrists hurt after the first one}.  Alexis sat with me at the kitchen table, nose turned up... telling me how much that cheesy looking stuff 'stunk'.  {neg 3, yes it has quite a, well, manly scent that we were not used to- fresh, but not floraly}.  And I was still skeptical, all of my ingredients costs added up to about $20- this was supposed to me helping me save money right?  I kept reminding myself that I shouldn't have to use bleach anymore and that it was supposed to last like forever...

Then, hubby came in... looking at me like I was nutso {told you so} for about 5 minutes before grabbing the soap and grater to help!  It didn't take him long to grab my mini food chopper and chop the soap using that {why didn't I think of that?}???   He surprises me sometimes... he really got into this whole process, even if he was just humoring my newest crazy money saving quest. 

The Verdict!

We've been using the powder for two weeks now... I do A LOT of laundry every day here... at least 3 loads a day and we've only used about an eighth of what we made.  Our clothes actually 'feel' clean, if that makes sense and they 'smell' clean.  After washing and drying, the clothes do not really have a scent, they just smell clean... I was afraid they would all smell like men's cologne, but they don't. I haven't had to use any bleach or fabric softener so less chemically mess in the house too.

The whole house smells fresh... when you walk in the door a clean fresh scent welcomes you in.  {Alexis still thinks it 'stinks' but she doesn't like the smell of alot of things.}

I haven't crunched numbers yet... but I figure the powder should last me a good 3 months at the rate I'm using it.  I would have already spent upwards of  $15 over the past two weeks for detergent, bleach and softener combined.  If my DIY powder lasts 3 months as I'm estimating- the break down would be a cost of only 60cents a week!

I think Mommy LIKES it- She really likes it!

Have you tried DIY detergent yet?
Do you think you would be interested in trying it to save some money?
Let me know your thoughts... I'd love to hear them!








You can keep up with the T&B craziness by following along
GFC, Linky, FB, G+, Twitter and Pintrest too!
Like this post?  Feel free to Pin and gPlus away!

Linking with these Fantastic blogs Here!

5 comments:

Leslie @ Violet Imperfection said...

I recently made my own and have been waiting to see how I like and so far so good. I think I may be sold on DIY detergent.

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

I have been making my own for about 4 months now. I just now bought my second box of borax and washing soda, so I am on my second batch and have been happy with it. I don't like the fact that it doesn't sudd up, but our water is so horrible here, even when I used gain, I had to use extra to get it to sudd up. I don't put the purex crystals in mine. What is the purpose of it?

Christy said...

My recipe is different than yours. (I've never seen the purex crystals added?) But after being solely on homemade laundry soap for about a year now, I have went back to buying regular. It was good for a long while, but recently our clothes just got to where they were not "clean". They had a stank to them, too. I can't have any of that. So we are back to store bought. Good luck with your mix! Maybe the purex crystals will be the difference. :)

jennifischer.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for sharing. I've been thinking we'll try this the next time we run out, so I'm glad to hear that it has worked so well for you.

Andie Jaye said...

good for you! we haven't done this because Bear and i have super sensitive skin and wouldn't want to see what it'd do to me. so we've gotta use the pricey hypo-allergenic stuff :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...