Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Fa Ree is For Me!

Pin It
I don't know about you but I love love love finding and getting things for - FrEE! 

Almost everything I own is a hand me down, a thrift store purchase, or a road side treasure.  A can of paint, the flick of a paint brush or some new fabric can totally transform almost anything is what I've learned over the years.  Don't get me wrong...I totally appreciate a beautiful new house with all the trimmings.  I just don't have that and I'm okay with it!  (most of the time, usually...you get my drift)

So, my love for an item that has been outcast (someone elses trash) has finally rubbed off on the hubby. 

One must understand...the last thing hubby wants to do is move heavy pieces of furniture.  He hates it.  He will usually go to great lengths explaining why we should NOT grab that old but great item of furniture from someone's big trash pile.  And YES we've gotten into some lovely little arguements over it.

Imagine my suprise when he brought home this little baby...
Our TV had been sitting on an old bookshelf, which served it's purpose, but didn't quite fit in.  Hubby came home and told me that he had picked up an entertainment center out for trash.  He admitted he drove by it, knowing full well that what I didn't know wouldn't hurt me and kept going...He went through this whole, 'if you don't want it...I wasn't gonna get it...I can't believe I turned around...loaded this big, old, heavy thing on the truck...blabbity, blah, blah, blah... I did it for you...'

It's like the kids... you can teach them, you can preach to them, you can scream & kick & scream some more... but you never know how much of it actually sticks until they use it, outside of the home...when your not around.  Ha!  I love my hubby for this! 

So with some reshopping around the house,  I think it looks pretty good in that corner there.  Everything (and I mean everything) on top was either thrifted, a GW find or from the Dollar Tree store but (my opinion only) ended up looking pretty darn nice and The big ole TV just just just fits inside!

At first,  I thought... I'm painting that sucker.  Now I'm not so sure... kinda liking the wood tone.  Any thoughts?

Then, believe it or not, the very next day I get a call from my sister (who has the big old house on the hill with the fancy furniture) who informs me her neighbor is getting rid of all of her scrapbooking stuff and did I want it?

Well, the hoarder tendancies kicked in... I really don't scrap that often...(like never) but I can't see it going into the trash pile. 

"...If it's going to the trash, of course I'll come take a look and see if I can use anything"  Yeah right, like I'm not headed over right now to snatch it all up... are ya crazy?


Turns out she used to be a Creative Memories dealer... and this is just a small sampling of the stuff!  Tons and tons and tons of paper, stickers, unopened photo albums, scissors, cutters, tape, glue...just about everything one could possibly need and more.  75% of it new, unopened... binders and binders and organizers and wheeled cart thingies that in the catalog cost $130.00 alone (empty). 

Ohhhh, I'm full of ideas for all of this beautiful paper... in the coming weeks I'll be sharing more in depth what's in the bags...and what we can do with it!  Who know... I may just have to share!

Hugs, Kim

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Your husband is awesome! That entertainment center is just perfect!! I am also so very jealous of all the FREE scrapbooking things you got. :)

I know what you mean by hoarding.... I just moved last night and was amazed at all the crafting stuff I have kept over the years! I just can't part!

Anonymous said...

what a good that man is!It looks great,, I say keep it for a while in the wood then if you tire of it go crazy with the paint,,looks good though,, You must have been over the moon with that luckky bunch of scapping stuff.I admire people who do this form of art,, I've never done it but I have lots of blogging buddies who make the greatest tags and things from this stuff,, I think you will be very busy and have so much fun!!!!

Andie Jaye said...

love it! what a great hubby! i like the wood, but you could always spruce it up a bit if you wanted to. ideas: frosted contact paper for the glass door to hide you stuff (i've got a whole bunch if you want me to send it to you). knobs on those side doors. just thinking. and good for you on getting all that craft stuff!!

Emily said...

I was totally laughing when reading about your husband going to great lengths not to move fruniture because mine does too! Men! But that's awesome that he came home with something for you. Way to go on the scrapbook stuff. I love to scrapbook but hate the cost of everything. Can't wait to see what you are up to!

customteddys said...

It was great fun reading your post and catching some of your enthusiasm. I hope that means you are feeling better than you were last post. Sometimes a gesture from a loved one or a little something extra coming along can help to turn things around. Take care, Vicki

Andie Jaye said...

i have another award to share with you doll! http://crayonfreckles.blogspot.com/2011/07/happy-100-award.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...